COOK – The once-annual Cook city bowhunt has come to an end after council members split last month on a vote to authorize the event, designed to control the deer population within the city …
COOK – The once-annual Cook city bowhunt has come to an end after council members split last month on a vote to authorize the event, designed to control the deer population within the city limits.
During the council’s July 25 meeting, Mayor Harold Johnston and council member Kim Brunner opposed the hunt while council members Jody Bixby and Elizabeth Storm supported it.
“After speaking with our city attorney, a tie vote constitutes a ‘no’ vote, as it requires a majority vote,” said Theresa Martinson, city administrator.
Councilmember Karen Hollanitsch was not in attendance at the July meeting. Martinson said Hollanitsch is on excused absence and will not be able to vote until after the application deadline for the special hunt.
Typically, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources issues an announcement during the first full week of August and permits can be issued after the public is notified. Martinson said the deadline date for accepting applications is Aug. 22 and the full council will not be able to convene prior to that date.
The council may address the hunt after additional information gathering, however this year’s event won’t proceed. “I think review of the effectiveness and safety of the hunt along with public comment may be addressed,” Martinson said.